Thursday, May 19, 2011

Harmon Killebrew Bids Farewell To Fans, Friends

Editor’s Note:  The National Baseball Hall of Fame released this statement Friday, May 13, on behalf of Harmon Killebrew, Hall of Famer since 1984 and frequent attendee at the annual Induction Weekend.  Killebrew passed away Tuesday, May 17, 2011.

It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end. 
With the continued love and support of my wife, Nita, I have exhausted all options with respect to controlling this awful disease. My illness has progressed beyond my doctors’ expectation of cure.
I have spent the past decade of my life promoting hospice care and educating people on its benefits. I am very comfortable taking this next step and experiencing the compassionate care that hospice provides.
I am comforted by the fact that I am surrounded by my family and friends. I thank you for the outpouring of concern, prayers and encouragement that you have shown me.
I look forward to spending my final days in comfort and peace with Nita by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment